Why do the prenatal/postnatal Pilates classes rock at Core Pilates NYC?
We’ve thoughtfully designed our classes that are only taught by our fully certified instructors who have received specialized training in how to teach Pilates to the prenatal and postnatal body.
Why should I do Pilates during pregnancy?:
According to Exercising Through Your Pregnancy by Dr. James F. Clapp III, women who exercise through their pregnancy benefit from:
- Fewer pregnancy discomforts
- Easier labors: less pain relief needed, less medical intervention (surgical and non-surgical), shorter labor times
As well as the benefits directly to their babies:
- More tolerance to the stresses of labor, fewer instances of medical intervention right after birth as well high physical and intelligence performance throughout life.
What Can I Expect in a Prenatal/Postnatal Pilates class at Core?
55 minute group class (maximum of 6 for apparatus class and 12 for mat class) rooted in Joe Pilates’ original movement order as well as the 6 Pilates principles: 1) breath 2) control 3) concentration 4) flow 5) precision 6) centering, on various apparatus that is 100% pregnancy safe!
The Details on Our Special Class Structure:
10-15 minutes focused on breathing and pelvic floor work
30-40 minutes of a series of pregnancy safe Pilates and Pilates based variations on the mat, tower, chair and reformer (all class types are offered)
There will be a focus on how to properly activate (and release) the TVA and pelvic floor throughout class as well as glute strength, balance, posture and alignment, upper body strength, alleviating common aches and pains that come along with pregnancy, promoting proper blood flow and digestion.
5-10 minutes of targeted stretching towards areas that will benefit most prenatal / postnatal changes in the body
We See the Benefits of Prenatal/Postnatal Pilates as :
- Education about the prenatal body such as changes that can be expected and how we will work to support the prenatal and postnatal body by using the corrective form of exercise that is Pilates.
- Creation of muscle memory and new neural pathways that will encourage proper muscle activity outside of the studio in your everyday functional movement patterns
- Coordination of the inner core unit
- Proper activation of the TVA
- Building stamina and strength in the TVA (“core muscles” – think: “crunches” for pregnancy)
- Exercises proven to reduce common pregnancy ailments such as back pain and “sciatica”
- Exercises designed to prevent inner core unit dysfunction post pregnancy (including diastasis recti and incontinence)
- Awareness and education about the pelvic floor to build the strength and stability required from these small muscles during pregnancy as well as the ability to relax, release and open in the event of a vaginal delivery
- Glue strength and pelvic stability work to support the additional weight the pelvis will take on during pregnancy and weight/center of gravity shifting
- Dedicated work to counteract postural imbalances that occur in the changing body
- Upper body strength to prepare for holding, lifting, feeding
- Stretches specifically focusing on the most common “tight” areas in the prenatal and postnatal body
- A place and process to “train” for labor
- Exercises designed to encourage closure of any diastasis occurring after pregnancy
- Exercises and education targeting the ability to retrain the inner core unit to function seamlessly and optimally after your have your baby
- Education about how to properly assess your pelvic floor post pregnancy
- A community of women who are in the same phase of life that you are
- A calming environment where you can find a quiet mind for concentration on your body and it’s movement
One-on-one Private sessions are available as well and you can expect just as many benefits with even more personalization and considerations to your body’s needs. Call or email the studio today to book your session!
Check out the Class Schedule Here
Check out our Prenatal Pricing and Bundle Packages Here
“I’m especially grateful that I only had to push for 11 minutes thanks to all the Pilates classes at Core.”
(Thanks to these rockstar prenatal teachers – Jenny, Jane, Marjorie, Kelli, Debby and Nicole!)
– new mama and Core client, Caroline