We had a mild winter! Mega win! The downside? Allergy season kicks in early, stronger and lasts longer this spring! Don’t fret, I have a few remedies and protocols to keep you in that first-glimpse-of-sunlight-bliss all season long.
At Core Pilates NYC, we are big fans of essential oils. In the studio, we use DoTerra essential oils in our diffusers and to clean our equipment. In the changing room, we offer Naturopathica essential oil infusions! Everyone that comes in has the pleasure of adorning their bodies with notes of citrus, wood or florals, if they so choose. It’s no surprise the benefits of essential oils go beyond tickling the senses and are of antibacterial, immune strengthening, bug fighting, allergy kicking superhero caliber…
Enter, Thieves essential oil blend, in the 1400’s when the plague was hitting humans aggressively, people were perishing at a rapid rate. Total bummer, here comes a fun fact before you get all melancholic… crypt robbers would douse their handkerchiefs and clothing in a powerful essential oil blend made of: clove, cinnamon, citrus, eucalyptus and rosemary before grave robbing.
Benefits of Thieves essential oil:
- behaves as a natural repellent to germs
- proven to kill 99% of airborne bacteria
- counteracts a runny nose, itchy eyes and sinus infections
How to use?
Dilute a droplet in a carrier oil and rub it into the opening of your nostrils.
If Thieves blend can keep away deadly bacterial, pollen and dust mites don’t stand a chance! Needless to say, those grave robbers made away with a ton of loot!
Modern day Thieves Blends are made by:
DoTerra: On Guard
Young Living: Thieves
Uncle Harry’s: Four Bandits
Want to strengthen your respiratory system AND reverse signs of aging, say no more:
- Frankincense– the essential oil of kings. Now, we are healing and looking fab while doing it!
Fighting off bacteria?
- Tea Tree– diluted in carrier oil for skin blemishes, putting a stop to bacteria regrowth
- Oregano– diluted in carrier oil for internal consumption, helping your digestive tract
Reliable ways to open up your lungs?
For this powerful combo with the bonus soothing benefit of Chamomile and Ylang ylang, snag a DoTerra Deep Blue Rub for those aching muscles!
Tried and True Approaches
- Vitamin C! Oranges and lemon have been in your cold and allergy fighting arsenal for ages, I’m sure. Try adding in strawberries too! They have the added benefit of free-radical fighting antioxidants!
- Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate! I know, I sound like your mother. Quality water and water dense fruits: cucumbers, watermelon, cantaloupe… all carry those nasty cold and allergy germs out of your system while hydrating your cells. You’ll be the freshest looking sick person on the 4 train.
- Health begins in the gut. Probiotics are healthy bacteria that keep your digestive system optimal by controlling growth of harmful bacteria.
- Probiotic foods: sauerkraut, kombucha, miso and tempeh
- Prebiotics are foods, not as easily processed by the human body, that serve as a meal for your probiotics. You can eat sweet potato, asparagus, bananas, artichoke, garlic and dandelion greens to get your dose of prebiotics and keep your probiotics fed!
- There are a wide variety of supplements on the market. Tailoring probiotic and prebiotic intake to any diet, lifestyle, time and culinary habits has never been easier!
Vitamin D Anyone?
We all know vitamin D is crucial to sustaining balanced health. Did you know supplements and the sun aren’t the only sources of vitamin D? The links between allergies and vitamin D deficiency are strong. Starting foraging in your local farmers market!
Mushrooms high in Vitamin D:
Mushrooms are powerful anti-cancerous, anti-bacterial, gut building superfoods. Their benefits are vital components in fighting off any cold, allergy or flu.
Thinking about immune support, try:
- He shou wu
You can find these more illusive super mushrooms dried or as a liquid at your local health food store or online.
We all want strong abdominals and six pack muscles, especially with summer approaching! How do you manage that when you’ve been hit with a cold? Need I say it?
A good solid core and a detoxing sweat session are never to be under estimated. Your transversal abdominals are meant to bundle your vital organs and strength their overall function! If you feel well enough to get those glands secreting, come in for a stabilizing Pilates session. A little stomach massage anyone?
- reduces histamine
- comparable in strength to over the counter medications
Bee pollen, while not appropriate for people with bee allergies, boasts a ton of natural vitamins and minerals. Can you say that about your nasal spray?
My most unfailing form of 24-hour-bug-attack are medicinal herbs! Similar to those dried mushrooms we discussed earlier (scroll up if you missed it) these herbs pack a power one-two punch and leave you with a residual strength for weeks to come.
- Golden seal is a thousand year old natural antibiotic commonly used to combat everything from sinus infections to allergies, fever, stomach issues and acne.
- Echinacea increases white blood cell count to fight infections and reduces the symptoms of a cold, flu or allergic episode
- Cat’s claw and Pau d’arco are anti-viral teas that reduce pain and inflammation
Trust me, you’ll be breathing easy in a New York Minute.
I hope I’ve added choice to your arsenal of remedies when fighting off a health decline. As always, when changing your diet, fitness, supplement or herbal routine, please consult your general practitioner and pharmacist, this is especially important for pregnant, nursing women or women planning a pregnancy.
Stay in good health friends. I’ll see you at Core NYC.
Live Well and Do Pilates,